Cacao Hot Shots
There’s no denying it. Hot chocolate makes cold autumn and winter days more enjoyable. And this hot choccy hit not only delivers a deeply decadent chocolate flavour, it’s also super healthy.
Instead of regular cocoa powder, cow’s milk and sugar, it uses raw cacao powder, almond milk and is naturally sweetened with vanilla and maple syrup. Basically, raw cacao is awesome! It’s an alkalinizing superfood brimming with living enzymes and more antioxidants than the goji berry. Plus it packs an energy punch without the caffeine jitters.
It’s so delicious and easy to make, and I suspect incorporating a drop of booze would make it even more indulgent.
240ml plain unsweetened almond milk
20g raw cacao powder
1tbs maple syrup
0.25tsp vanilla extract
Small pinch of cinnamon, or to taste
Tiny pinch of fine sea salt
1. Pour the milk into a small pan. Begin to warm over a medium heat.
2. Add the cacao powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
3. Whisk periodically as the liquid warms up.
4. Let it simmer gently for 30 seconds to a minute, whisking continuously as the liquid thickens.
5. Take off the heat. Taste and adjust for sweetness. If it’s too thick add a wee drop of milk and whisk again.